Get A Fresh Start Through Expungement Or Record Sealing

A DUI conviction or any criminal conviction is a tough blow with potentially long-lasting consequences but it is not necessarily the end of the road.

Examples Of Opportunities For Expungement Of Records Of Arrests, Charges And Convictions

You may have the option of pursuing an expungement or sealing of your criminal record after you have served your punishment. The time frame may vary from one person to another. You may submit a petition for an expungement a few weeks or months after a conviction — or many years afterward. Potential relevant factors include the following:

  • Someone 70 years old or older may seek an expungement for criminal convictions when at least 10 years have passed with no additional criminal offenses.
  • If you were arrested but your criminal charges were dismissed, you may be eligible for an expungement of the arrest.
  • Likewise, if you went to trial and were found not guilty, your charges may be eligible to be expunged.

Expungement of Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) records
You may seek an expungement of your DUI records once your case is resolved through Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD).

Otherwise, PennDOT will typically automatically expunge your ARD records after 10 years. This will normally happen if your operating privileges were not revoked as a habitual offender and if you were not a commercial driver at the time of the violation.

Sealing Of Records

Record sealing is sometimes an option for serious criminal records. Under certain circumstances — such as if you have completed your sentence and stayed crime-free for 10 years or longer — you may petition the court to seal your records according to Pennsylvania's limited access laws. Convictions of ungraded, second- and third-degree misdemeanors (but not first-degree misdemeanors) may potentially be sealed through this process. If your petition is successful, you may prevent your records from being accessed during a background check.

An expungement attorney serving York County at Griest, Himes, Herrold, Reynosa LLP can evaluate your situation and recommend the most promising strategy for dealing with your criminal records.

Contact A Dedicated Lawyer For Information And Help

We are here for you as you look for solutions to your criminal record problem. Call 717-900-5677 or complete our online intake form to schedule a consultation.