Paid for your spouse’s education? You might want to seek alimony

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2020 | Family Law |

You weren’t in favor of going through with a divorce, because you believe that you and your spouse can still work things out. After speaking with them about everything, you realized that what you want won’t matter. As a result, you’ve decided to go forward with the divorce and to pursue everything you can in terms of your assets and the rights you have.

One thing that your spouse asked you not to pursue is alimony, but you felt that was unfair. You supported your spouse while he attended college, and he’s now earning much more than he was in the past. The original plan was that he’d go to school and get a good career. Once he was established, you’d be able to go back to school to further your career, too. 

In the end, you spent a lot of money on his career only to have him ask for a divorce once he graduated. That has put you in a difficult position where you not only need more financial support but also want to get some of that investment back.

In a case like this, it may be a good idea to talk to your attorney about alimony and getting some compensation for the money you spent on your spouse’s education. It’s entirely fair to ask for compensation when you’ve invested time and money into your spouse’s education or career while putting yourself second — especially if your own career prospects have suffered as a result. 

Alimony is one possible solution. If you’re interested in learning more about the financial options you have during a divorce, take the time to consult an attorney.