What should you do if your ex violates your custody rights?

On Behalf of | May 19, 2021 | Family Law |

You are supposed to share custody with your ex. Most of the time, things go smoothly, but then your ex starts interfering with your rights. 

It could be relatively minor, such as showing up late all the time. It could be major, such as refusing to let you see the kids even though you have a court order that says you’re allowed to see them. What should you do?

Avoid mistakes and find a solution

Situations like this are complex, but make sure you focus on finding a solution, not getting even. For instance, some people threaten not to pay child support. They see this as evening the score. It’s not. Now you’re also violating the court order. This just makes things far worse, and it is very detrimental to your children. 

Your first move should just be to talk to your ex and find out if there’s a reason they’re doing this. Maybe they really just want to modify the custody arrangement. They’re doing it on their own, but you may be able to do it through the court and find a resolution. 

If this doesn’t work, though, you may have to take the next step and go to court yourself. Simply the threat of talking to a judge may be enough, or the judge may be able to enforce the existing order. A more drastic step is to modify that order by asking for your ex to give up their custody rights so that they have no chance to prevent you from seeing the children. 

Moving forward properly

Through every step in this process, you must do things legally and properly. Be sure you know exactly what legal options you have to enforce your custody and visitation rights. Talking with an attorney can help you gain the perspective and knowledge you need.